Reinforcing the Scaling Up of HIV Services: Strengthening HIV Prevention and Effective Targeting
Program Goal: To reduce new HIV infections and deaths among men, women, children and neonates in the next 3 years
- Promote healthy behaviors among prison inmates;
- Promote the integration of Sexual Reproductive Health and HIV/AIDS services with emphasis on Counselling and Testing and Behavior Change Communication through drama and film shows; and
- Promote the use of personal hygiene kits (disposable blades, tooth brushes and tooth paste) as a means of reducing HIV infection among inmates.
- Reach about 14,500 prison inmates with prevention services and 17,700 with HIV testing by 2017 in 43 prisons in Ghana (Click map to enlarge);
- Behavior change communication activities such as film shows and drama performances in collaboration with Theater for Social Change;
- Distribute Information, Education and Communication materials on HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted infections and tuberculosis;
- Conduct peer education;
- Provide education of inmates on HIV prevention, stigma and discrimination;
- Provide personal hygiene kits to inmates (see image below);
- Conduct outreach, HIV counseling and testing, and tuberculosis screening;
- Refer HIV positive inmates and those with presumptive tuberculosis to access treatment, care and support services.
- Prison inmates