The Policy, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Division (PPMED) is a division of the Ghana Health Service (GHS) that supports GHS and its implementing partners with:
- Comprehensive operational policies, sustainable strategic plans, systems, programmes and budgets.
- Monitoring and evaluation systems and tools to assess the operational effectiveness
- New products based on credible research for the advancement of the objectives of the Ghana Health Service.
The PPMED core functions include:
- The analysis of national, bilateral and international policies and its use for the development of strategic plans and implementation guidelines for the GHS;
- The coordination, guidance and development of short, medium and long-term plans and budgets for the GHS’s development, including the preparation of projects and programmes for local and international financing consistent with the Sector-Wide/Multi-Donor Budget Approach;
- The development of level specific performance indicators and contracts
- The development of a comprehensive system of research, monitoring and evaluation of programmes and projects with a view to determining programme effectiveness and efficiency
- The review of health financing and resource (human and infrastructure) allocation strategies and its impact on access, quality and efficiency to consumers
- The production and management of health information as a management decision support system
The PPMED has three departments:
- Policy Department
- Planning and Budget Department
- Information Monitoring and Evaluation Department
While in the past health systems strengthening interventions were part of the disease specific grants, the Ghana CCM made the decision to entrust the entire HSS package to the PPMED to enhance transparency and accountability.